Home tournet@tournet.lv
26. April, Wednesday
 Destinations
 Regions / Cities
 Routes
 Supported by

image | bibliography

LAUCIENE (NURMHUSEN)

           During the time of the Order, Lauciene (an inhabited site 10 km from Talsi near the Talsi - Sloka highway) was the site of the Kandava administrator’s most profitable manor - Nurmuiža. This place was given its name by the Livonians, who lived here before the arrival of the Kurši (nurm means field in Livonian).
In 1566 the Nurmuiža Castle was purchased by and became the property of the Duke of Kurzeme’s advisor Georg von Firkss. The manor and its respectable castle belonged to the von Firkss family from that time until 1920. It is likely that it gained its present composition – a four-wing grouping with a small inner courtyard, and graphite decorative finishing - at the end of the 16th century. The castle’s owners also apparently started creating the castle’s 4.5 ha park at this time. However, the large external courtyard in front of the castle, the gate tower and farm buildings were constructed in later centuries.
           The construction of Nurmuiža Lutheran Church in 1594 was financed by the aforementioned Georg von Firkss. Major renovations were carried out in the church from 1673 to 1687 and the interior was completely changed, which has preserved the appearance it took on then down to the present. The pride of the church are several valuable Mannerist applied art works: the memorial plaques to Georg and Anna (born von Rozen) von Firkss (1600), as well as epitaphs to Georg von Firkss (1620) and Kristofor von Firkss (1696).

 Impressions
 Partners


go up


© SIA Pilsoņu Forums © Dizains: Agris Dzilna
Jūs esat apmeklētājs