In 1234 the first yard of the bishop was given to Jacobin monks who established a monastery with St. John’s Church. In 1297 citizens fired on the castle of the order from this church. Even today the old chapel is decorated by web arches and ornamental western fronton acquired in about 1500 during its rebuilding. Three-nave chancel also remained and therefore the church was enlarged in 1587 -1589. The parish room with wall pillar constructions has only one nave that is characteristic of Jacobin architecture, the so-called barn architecture. St. John’s Church is a rare architectural monument of late Gothic in style such in Latvia. In its turn building form of the parish room: columns, half-circumferences, arches, pilasters, and alteration of daubed and not daubed bricks in its wall ornamental decoration, indicates about the mannerism style and also about the close cultural connections of the region with North Europe during the Post-Reformation time. The interior of the church is enriched by many valuable works of art. From the 17th century two ceiling lanterns of brass in mannerism style (1609 and 1666) and a candlestick have remained here. The church altar (1767 - 1769), formed by the carpenter Kārlis Apelbaums (arrived in Riga from Luebeck in 1759), should be noticed as an outstanding work of rococo art. The church organ galleries are ornamented by paintings with 13 religious stories (18th century), and the sacristy – by a painting “Christ at the cross” painted in 1912 by Latvian master Janis Rozentāls.