Home tournet@tournet.lv
22. January, Tuesday
 Destinations
 Routes
 Supported by

image | bibliography

           12. St. Peter’s Church           

          The third monumental building in this part of the city, formed by German settlers, is St. Peter’s Church of Riga. Facts about this chapel were found in written records in 1209. St. Peter’s Church is the only church in the Baltics with the so-called French ridge surrounded by a transfer deambulatory and a chapel crown. This part of the chapel apparently was built in two stages: in about 1400 and 1408 – 1410. It was built according to a pattern of St. Maria Church in Rostock run by Karsten Rumeschottel and his son Johan, two craftsmen from Rostock. The building of the parish room, preserving original massive crucial pillars of the 13th century church, was finished in the second half of the 15th century.
          In 1666 the Gothic tower, built in 1491, came down, and from 1667 to 1690 a new tower was built in its place according to a design of a craftsman Rupert Bindesu (1645 - 1698). At that time it was the highest wood tower in Europe. From 1671 to 1694 the western facade of the church was made in the Baroque style: three Baroque gantries designed by Bindesu were attached to it. Stonemason Heinrich Henike carried out building, and sculptors Johan Daniel Saus and Johan Gervin formed sculptural mouldings. Although St. Peter’s Church was heavily burnt by fire on 29 June 1941, after its restoration (1954 - 1983) it is again viewed in its all splendour. The chapel also retrieved the tower designed by Bindesu, but now in ironwork. An elevator was built in the tower lifting the church visitors up to the sightseeing areas in the height of 56.9 and 71.3 m.

 

 Impressions
 Partners


go up


© SIA Pilsoņu Forums © Dizains: Agris Dzilna
Jūs esat apmeklētājs