Albert’s Square is situated in the south-western part of the Old City. In the 17th century a horse post-house was established there. In 1889 the post-house was pulled down and green areas were formed in its place, and giving honour to the first bishop of Riga the place was named as Albert’s small public garden, but in 1923 – renamed as Albert’s Square. Fall of relief is clearly noticeable in this place in the direction of the former centre of Riga. Further to the South, across the railway embankment there is a row of pavilions of the Riga Central Market (1924 - 1930). Before World War II the market complex was the most modern building of such kind in Europe.