The place that is nowadays called Dome Square is an immeasurable spatial formation for Old Riga. In the 1860s dwellings were demolished in the western part of the Dome and the present western entrance of the church was built. But in the thirties of the previous century the squares of private houses were destroyed to the north of the Dome. The square is surrounded by several monumental buildings built in the 19th
and20th century. Among them the major attention is laid on Exchange House (1852 - 1855; arch. H. Bose), a building of Commercial Bank, resp. present Radio Committee building (1913 - 1922; arch. P. Mandelstam), and a building of the Ministry of Finance (1937 - 1940; arch. A. Klinklāvs).