The former second (Russian) theatre of the city (presently the National Theatre) towers above to the South from Citadel, A.Kronvalda Boulevard and on the corner of K.Valdemāra iela. This historic building was built between 1900 – 1902 by a design from the architect Augusts Reinbergs (1860 - 1908). Sculptors on the theatre’s facade is by Augusts Folcs. In forming the splendid interiors of the building forms of historic styles were used (Baroque, Rococo, and Classicism). On 18 November 1918 the sovereign state of Latvia was proclaimed in this building.