Home tournet@tournet.lv
27. January, Thursday
 Destinations
 Regions / Cities
 Routes
 Supported by

image | bibliography

GROBIŅA (GROBIN)

           Judging by archaeological finds of grave sites (fire burial sites), around 650-850 Grobiņa (a town 10 km from Liepāja on the banks of the Ālande River), was home to Scandinavian (Svejs and Gottlandians) colonies. At that time the important trading port of Zēburga was located there. It is likely that it was a support base for Scandinavian (Viking) raiding trips into Kursa, which are the subject of chronicles and Nordic sagas.
          From the 9th century a Kurši castle rose on a hill above Grobiņa, which was burned down in 1263 by Order military forces. In the second half of the 13th century the Order built its own castle opposite this site, which underwent major reconstruction in the mid 14th century. Grobiņa Castle was the seat of Order district administrators (from 1392 to 1560 a total of 14 successive administrators served there). They were responsible for administrative and military stewardship of the district. As the castle was located on the Livonian – Prussian military road, it followed the layout typical for roadside castles, with an encircling wall, a large internal courtyard and one fortified residential wing. The castle was not neglected under the Duchy of Kurzeme: in 1660 Duke Jēkabs resided there for a time with his family after returning from Swedish captivity. In the 17th century the castle’s residential areas were renovated and improved, and the construction of a bastion system improved its defensive capabilities. The castle walls have been well preserved up to the present.
          Charred walls were all that was left of Grobiņa Lutheran Church (1664) after a fire in 1941. Today the church has been restored.

 Impressions
 Partners


go up


© SIA Pilsoņu Forums © Dizains: Agris Dzilna